Monday, August 22, 2011

Treat of the Week: Italian Egg Cookies and Ice Cream


For centuries, Italians have enjoyed this simple, spongy cookies of eggs, sugar and flour. The ancient Romans made them with honey, and today, several varieties of the recipe exist. However, at their heart, they are merely tender, sweet pillows of only the purest ingredients.

These cookies have had several different names. We call them “ciamelli.” I’m sure there are other spellings for that, including, “ciarmelli.” Others call them strombigus. Other names still exist for these comforting treats. These are the result of generations of different families adapting their own recipes.

My mother makes these and they’re always a welcome treat. This weekend, we enjoyed these delicious elegant cookies with fresh, homemade dark chocolate ice cream. The ice cream, topped with fudge sauce and whipped cream were the perfect rich compliment to the simplicity of the cookies.








9 comments:

Matt said...

I had to look up this recipe. These look like low fat, relatively low calorie sweets. I can indulge in something like these and not blow my carb intake for the day. Besides I think my kids and mate would love these too. I really enjoy this site and all the pretty thongs and ideas here. I hope your dog is doing okay after his surgery. I will bake some of these and let you know how they go. I ordered the ice-cream maker and love it. I only get a spoonful but the kids have been making ice-cream almost everyday.

Matt said...

I meant THINGS not thongs. Now I am blushing. Unless you wrote about some Royal 19th century thong and I missed it. Talk about Victoria's secret.

Carolyn said...

Those look delicious...simple and perfect.

Gene said...

My grandmother called these 'little eggs'. Good to see them.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Matt. I think you will enjoy the cookies. Let me know what you think. Bertie is doing very well. He gets better each day. As for Victoria's undergarments, I'll bet somevare stashed away at Wndsor or Sandringham. I'll see if I can uncover any secrets. Thanks for stopping by!

Joseph Crisalli said...

They're very good, Carolyn. Good to see you!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Gene. Thanks for your comment.

Colleen said...

You have saved me! My sister and I remember these from our childhood and still whenever we go to NY we go to the bakery and buy a pound to fly home with. We always called them "milk cookies". Now if you were to have any info on "rainbow cookies" I will have to always be your friend. I guess they are also called 7layer or venetians.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Colleen! I'm so very glad to know that! These are a family favorite. I will have to do some research on rainbow cookies, but if I find anything, I'll post it here.