Thursday, April 14, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 221

Mr. Punch frowned, “Coo! I’m getting’ a wee bit worried, I am. Where’s Marjani?”


“I don’t know,” Robert grunted. “She should have been here by now. You don’t suppose Edward Cage has delayed her?”

“Must have done.” Punch shook his head. “I don’t see why he won’t leave us alone.”

“Well, to be fair, we do have his son.” Robert shrugged.

“No.” Mr. Punch answered quickly. “We got our son. He’s got Molliner blood in his veins, he does. Ain’t no part of him a Cage.”

“I don’t think that Edward would agree with you.” Robert rose and walked to the window of the dusty hotel room.

“Here, what’s he want with Colin anyway?” Mr. Punch scowled.

“He wants a son.” Robert sighed.

“He’s already got a son—that slick, little Orman. Remember? The boy what was throwing stones at them nice birds?”

“I remember.” Robert shuddered. “An awful child, that one. Perhaps that’s why he wants another son, one that isn’t clearly demented.”

“Well, he can’t have this one.” Punch snorted.

“It’s not our place to decide what anyone’s motives are. As long as we understand our own, we’re in good standing.”

“I know me own motives, I do.” Punch said. “I even know me master’s--mostly. But, I don’t know yours. You never did answer my question, Chum.”

“Didn’t I?” Robert turned around, smiling.

“Not really. You just gave some vague answer like what you always do.”

“Don’t you trust me, dear Punch?” Robert asked.

“’Course I do!” Punch replied. “I trust you with me life and with the life of my nephew and me dog. Even me puppet! You’re me chum and I love you. But, I worry that perhaps you put yourself in a rough place and that you might…what’s the word?”

“Regret it?”

“That’s it.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“I don’t regret anything. I’d not trade my time with you for anything in the world. You know how I feel about you. And, about Julian.”

“I do.” Punch answered. “But, I don’t understand why you keep putting yourself in danger for us. Anyone else would walk away, they would.”

“True.” Robert chuckled. “But, I’m not anyone else.”

“Right.” Punch said softly.

“Listen to me, dear Punch,” Robert began. “When we met on the ship, I remembered you from your visit to my practice. I know who you were, and I was curious as to why a nobleman behaved as you do when you’re Mr. Punch. Yes, I confess, there was a bit of scientific curiosity to my initial interest in you. I wanted to help you. As a doctor, I wanted to help. But, also as a man. You see, I was never able to help my mother. The way she suffered and the way she died, well, I’ve always blamed myself for not being more helpful, for not saving her somehow.”

“But, you were just a boy.”

“Nevertheless, I’ve always felt as though I could have saved her. So, that’s why I followed in the family path of being a physician. I vowed I’d help people in a way that I couldn’t provide to my own mother. When I declared that I was your champion, that was what motivated me. But, then I got to know you—both of you. I realized that what my life was lacking was your companionship. And, then, selfishly—I admit—I decided to stay by your side. You give me so much, Mr. Punch, your loyalty, your bravery, your cleverness, you wildness, your devotion and affection. And from Julian, I have learned an elegance and dignity that I never knew before.”

“Coo.” Mr. Punch puffed.

“You seem to think that you’re some kind of burden on me. But, you’re not. This is what you do when you feel affection for someone. The good far outweighs the bad. I made a promise to you, and I aim to keep it. We’re a team, you and I. To walk away now would mean the death of me. I would be empty. Dear Punch, your devotion has saved my life. The least I can do is help you with yours.”

“Here,” Mr. Punch muttered. “You don’t talk much, but when you do, you say a lot.”

“Those of us who are quiet often have the most to say.” Robert smiled.

“Funny, isn’t it?” Mr. Punch laughed. “I ain’t quiet. Am I? I say a lot, but I don’t say nothin’ much at all.”

“You say more than you realize,” Robert winked.

A knock on the door interrupted them. It was Marjani’s knock, in the pattern that they’d agreed upon.

“Finally!” Robert said, rushing to the door, and being careful to walk quietly past the baby who was sleeping.

Robert flung open the door and his shoulders sagged.

“Did I get the knock right?” Iolanthe grinned.

“I remembered the little signal your girl used when she came yesterday.” Ulrika added.

“Good to see that you’re both still here.” Iolanthe growled, sashaying into the room. “I’d hate to think what I’d have done if you’d have tried to flee.”

“Good morning, Your Grace,” Ulrika said with false respect.

“Ginger sow.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Oh, someone’s feisty this morning.” Ulrika cooed.

“We’ve come for our payment,” Iolanthe interrupted. “I do hope you’re prepared.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-220? If so, you can read them here.

7 comments:

Gene said...

What a charming moment between these two. If only all of our friends could communicate as well and honestly.

Darcy said...

Great dialogue.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Gene!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Darcy!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Anonymous.

Dashwood said...

Oh, boy. What a great time to hand Punch a stick!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Not a bad idea, Dashwood.