Monday, December 20, 2010

Object of the Day: A Pair of Vintage Sconces

I am a fan of subtle indirect lighting. I like the freedom to illuminate a room in a variety of ways depending on my mood. For that reason, I enjoy using wall sconces since they light the walls and cast a warm glow throughout the room. When placed near a mirror, wall sconces reflect the light in a soft, charming way.


This pair of bronze wall sconces dates to the mid-to-late 1920’s and comes from France. As is often the case with antique or vintage fixtures, they’ve been rewired for safety. They’re really quite simple and offer a subtle elegance to a dark-toned wall. The single-armed fixtures with Rococo-inspired plaques hold two original pendalogues supported by crystal rosettes. I’ve dressed them with red silk shades. They blend nicely with the large chandelier in the room and add a warmth to an otherwise dark corner.


No comments: